Summer weather has arrived early in my part of the world (where did spring go?!), and I’m updating my suncare regimen to combat the season’s intense sunlight and longer daylight.
I’m still loyal to Pratima’s Neem Rose Face Sunscreen, but sometimes I just don’t have the time to make a trip to SoHo to buy a new bottle, and I refuse to pay Pratima’s high shipping fees, so I’ve been looking for something to alternate with the Neem Rose.
I saw a mention of Avene’s Mineral Ultralight Hydrating Lotion in a magazine, and after I’d checked out its ingredients, I decided to buy a bottle. What did I think? Here’s the breakdown…
– It’s easy to find. I bought mine at one of the thirty thousand Duane Reades located in New York City.
– It contains two physical sunblock ingredients, zinc oxide (6%) and titanium dioxide (4%). I prefer physical, rather than chemical, sun protection.
– It’s “cosmetically elegant” — a lightweight fluid that absorbs into skin without leaving any whitish cast.
– It doubles as a makeup primer, thanks to several silicones in its ingredients.
– It’s unscented — no coconut or cucumber fragrance here!
– It didn’t irritate my skin or cause breakouts.
– It’s somewhat expensive: between $23 and $28 for 1.3 ounces, depending on where you shop.
– It needs to be spread quickly, since it’s so fluid.
– It applies beautifully over smooth skin, but any dryness or roughness catches the product and causes it to “pill” a bit.
– It wouldn’t be hydrating enough for my “winter face,” although it’s just right for my oilier “summer skin.”
All in all, there are many good reasons for me to love this product, and I’d repurchase it.
Here’s the complete list of ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide 4% (sunscreen), Zinc Oxide 6% (sunscreen)
Inactive Ingredients: Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glycerin, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Dimethicone PEG-8 Laurate, Polymethylmethacrylate, Polysorbate 60, Butylene Glycol, Acrylates/C12-22 Alkylmethacrylate Copolymer, Arachidyl Glucoside, Arachidyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol, Lecithin, Trisiloxane, Oleic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Xanthan Gum, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Alumina, Methicone, Beeswax, Isostearic Acid, Polyhydroxystearic Acid.
Have you found any great sun protection products lately?